Round 14 Match Reports (2019)
La Trobe: 10.11 (79) defeated Box Hill North AFC 7.7 (49)
Goal Kickers: B. Zimmermann 3, T. Spiteri 2, I. Fan, B. Higgins, D. Thorn, F. Balabanov, P. Howard.
Best Players: A. Castles, R. Nolan, M. O’Brien, I. Fan, H. Thackray, B. Higgins.
After a tough and tight first half the La Trobe boys managed to kick away in the second half and record a 22-point win over bottom of the ladder Box Hill North AFC.
With a large number of players out, there was always going to be some challenges throughout the game. Box Hill’s early vigour was unexpected, and it took until the latter stages of the first half for La Trobe to wrestle the momentum of the game. Andy Castles stepped up as captain this week and bugger me, he led from the front and was easily our best player all day. Bailey Zimmerman had his bucket hands on point and managed to chime in for three important goals.
This week the boys hit the road to play South Mornington with all intentions of keeping the vibes happening.
Vs South Mornington
Played at Active Real Estate Oval, Mount Martha (Citation Reserve)
Game starts at 2:00 P.M.
La Trobe 4.6 (30) defeated by Old Scotch 14.13 (97)
Goal Kickers: S. Greene 2, K. Bond, C. Ross.
Best Players: K. Bond, R. Melican, L. Molloy, J. Yew, K. Ritchie, S. Castagnini.
It was the day of the La Trobe Women’s last game for the 2019 season. The birds were chirping, the sun was out and the girls were up and about. Everyone was excited for Sam Greene’s highly anticipated 150th and final game for La Trobe, before retiring from playing.
Before the game started the ‘Greene Machine’ ran through her brilliantly crafted 150th banner created by some of the girls on Wednesday night after training. As well as Lou having his own specially made banner, it was a very memorable moment.
During the first quarter, the girls were taken by surprise by Old Scotch’s incredible athleticism. This enabled them to jump out to a 49-point lead over La Trobe.
However, this didn’t dampen the girls’ spirit, as during the second quarter the Trobers came out fighting. They were able to get a few goals on the board and show Old Scotch the La Trobe spirit.
La Trobe continued their attacking brand of football into the third quarter. The backline and midfielders worked in cohesion in order to keep the opposition from scoring too many goals.
Unfortunately, the girls couldn’t get one last win for the season, but in all honesty the result didn’t affect anyone’s happy attitudes.
Thanks to everyone who has volunteered their time to help out the women’s team this year for the 2019 season. Yeehaa!!!
La Trobe Women’s Team 2019: A, B, C
- Attacking – The La Trobe Women’s team have an amazing ability to attack the football.
- Backline – The backline works extremely well together. Their ability to spoil, run and tackle are just some of the words to describe their role within the team. The players that allowed the backline to be so prominent during the 2019 season were: Kya, Grace, Swatta, Soph, Sherise, Turns, Brit, Bry, and Ash.
- Captain Kate Bond – Her leadership on and off the field can be easily spotted. On the football field she had a natural ability to burst through packs and deliver the ball to her team-mates.
- Dos – Although cssistant coach Dos was introduced into La Trobe as the coach of the reserves women’s team, he has easily fitted into the senior team. Exploring his deep passion and excitement for the game.
- Excitement – Every single game the women’s team played has been a thrilling and exciting match.
- Forward-line – The forward-line had the important role of kicking the team’s goals. Their ability to take set shots, goals on the run and snaps from the boundary is extraordinary. The players that killed it in the forward-line in 2019 were: Ritchie, Cuppa, Freo, Roz, and Charly.
- Greene Machine – Sam Greene is a pivotal player within the La Trobe Women’s team. She has played 150 games for La Trobe and kicked over 300 career goals.
- Happiness – The girls are happy to be training and playing for the La Trobe Football Club.
- Injury – Unfortunately the La Trobe women’s team were struck with injury throughout the entire season. However, this did not hinder the girls’ spirit and passion for the game.
- Jaryd Coghill – Senior coach Jaryd demonstrates his enthusiasm and passion for the game at every training session and match day.
- Kicking goals – The La Trobe women were literally and figuratively kicking goals during the 2019 season.
- Losses – Unfortunately the La Trobe women’s team had more losses than wins in the 2019 season. They had 10 losses for the season.
- Midfield – The midfielders have the major role of getting the ball out of the midfield and into the forward-line. Their ability to burst and swerve out of packs is exceptional. The players that put on a clinic in the midfield were: Marleigh, Lilly, Soccer, Casta, Rosco, Millzy, Swifty, and Joc.
- Next season – Hopefully next season the La Trobe women’s team can get more wins on the board and keep having fun.
- One percenter’s – Tackling, blocking and shepherding (also known as one percenters) were a key part in La Trobe’s game plan.
- Panicking – The opposition are always panicking when they have to verse the La Trobe women’s team.
- Quickly – The 2019 season has gone far too quickly!
- Running – There is a lot of running involved in a football game, and I think all the women’s players can vouch for that.
- Scott Coghill – Scott has been a great asset to the coaching team. He has been able to effectively and passionately coach the forward-line.
- Trainings – The girls would train on a Monday and Wednesday night throughout the entire season. Training was where a lot of girls would hone their skills and have a laugh.
- Unique bond – The strong bond between all the players within the team is very unique and like no other. All players show each other kindness and respect.
- Vibes – It is all about the good vibes. Good vibes can be felt in the atmosphere of a place or felt by the players. They have allowed for La Trobe to get a few wins on the board.
- Winning – The La Trobe women were able to come away with 4 wins during the 2019 season.
- Xyresic – Xyresic is another word for razor sharp and also the definition of the skills of the women’s player. Their kicking, marking, handballing and tackling skills were razor sharp.
- Yee-haa – This word was used by some players to describe their joy and excitement to be playing football at La Trobe. It is also how some of the women’s match reports were signed off.
- Zeal – Zeal is the eagerness to learn, and that is exactly what the La Trobe women had. All the girls were willing to learn and develop their football skills throughout the season.
The Women’s season has finished for 2019.
La Trobe: 23.20 (158) defeated Box Hill North AFC 3.2 (20)
Goal Kickers: M. Burrowes 3, R. Wills 3, L. Cooke 3, S. Pearson 3, J. Coghill 2, J. Tomada 2, M. Waight 2, Z. Price, J. Ferguson, D. Naidoo, S. Nelson, A. Hodgson.
Best Players: S. Nelson, D. Naidoo, D. Hamel, R. Wills, L. Cooke, A. Baillie.
“Winner winner, Box Hill for dinner”, was the word on The Midday Show’s lips on Saturday after securing second position on the ladder. Redemption never tasted so sweet after the humiliating defeat to Box Hill North in Round 8, but this time La Trobe dictated the terms overwhelming them 158-20.
Conditions couldn’t have been any better on Saturday afternoon with no wind and cloud cover providing perfect conditions for ball movement and goal kicking. Keeping Box Hill North to only 3 goals was a monumental achievement by all the Trober defenders.
La Trobe also celebrated the final game of one of the Club’s veterans, Alain Baillie as he changes direction and moves across the ditch. Box Hill North provided a contest all game but the Trobers pressure, structure and consistency kept our opponents out of the game.
This weekend La Trobe travels down the coast to Citation Reserve, Mount Martha to play South Mornington FC. Last time we met South Mornington the Trobers snuck a win 84-61 but knowing that distance can sometime restrict numbers, we will expect a strong response on their home ground.
Vs South Mornington
Played at Active Real Estate Oval, Mount Martha (Citation Reserve)
Game starts at 11:40 A.M.
La Trobe: 4.4 (28) defeated by Peninsula O.B.F.C 30.9 (189)
Goal Kickers: E. Bowman, A. Burke, W. Wilson, D. Holmes.
Best Players: T. Tregea-Copeland, W. Wilson, D. Thorn.
The previous game against Peninsula turned out to be a thriller, with the brave U19s going down by just a few goals. Unfortunately, lack of numbers and a few weeks out of the game proved to be costly against the well drilled machine that was Peninsula for the rematch.
That being said, the scoreboard doesn’t show the effort that the 19s put in for the entire game. Sixteen on the field was no deterrent to the young team, who ran out the match with a determination that just can’t be taught. Every single player put in a mammoth effort to keep up with an opposition that had a comfortably large bench.
With a bye this weekend, the 19s will look to regain some valuable players and go into the final few rounds with a fully manned side.
Read about how our teams have been travelling in 2022
It is with great sadness that we inform the Trober community of the passing of Bob Segrave on Monday morning 17th January, 2022.
It is with tremendous sadness that we inform our Trober community of the passing of Russell Badham on Monday morning 3rd January, 2022 after a short illness. Russell Badham arrived at LTUFC in 1969.